Thailand Relocates Over 100,000 Residents Along Cambodian Border Amid Escalating Clashes
Officials reported on Friday that Thailand has moved more than 100,000 people from areas near the Cambodian border as tensions between the two nations led to their most severe military confrontation in years.
The interior ministry stated that 100,672 individuals from four provinces bordering Cambodia had been relocated to shelters. Meanwhile, the health ministry confirmed that the number of fatalities had increased to 14.
On Thursday, Thailand deployed an F-16 fighter jet to strike targets in Cambodia following artillery exchanges that killed at least 11 civilians.
Both sides accused the other of initiating the clashes, which began in a disputed border region and quickly intensified from small arms fire to heavy shelling across at least six locations spanning 209 kilometers (130 miles)—a stretch of contested territory for over a century.
Early Friday, the Thai military reported renewed fighting in Chong Bok and Phu Makhuea in Ubon Ratchathani Province, as well as in Phanom Dong Rak District, Surin Province. It stated that Cambodian forces were using artillery and rockets, prompting a response from Thai troops.
The recent violence marks the deadliest confrontation between the two countries in 13 years. Tensions escalated after Thailand recalled its ambassador from Phnom Penh and expelled Cambodia’s diplomatic representative following accusations that a Thai soldier lost a limb to a landmine allegedly laid by Cambodian troops—a claim Cambodia dismissed as unfounded.
Thailand reported 14 deaths, including an eight-year-old boy, and 31 injuries from Thursday’s clashes.
“We denounce the use of heavy weapons without clear targets, beyond conflict zones … such actions violate international norms,” said Thailand’s acting prime minister, Phumtham Wechayachai.
“While we seek peaceful resolutions, this was a clear provocation, and we had to act in self-defense,” he added.
Thailand’s health minister, Somsak Thepsuthin, said a hospital in Surin province was struck by shelling, calling it an act that should be treated as “a war crime.”
Cambodian officials did not provide details on casualties or the number of evacuees.
The UN Security Council was scheduled to convene on Friday to address the conflict.
The United States, a longstanding ally of Thailand, urged an immediate halt to hostilities.
“We are deeply troubled by the rising violence along the Thailand-Cambodia border and saddened by reports of civilian harm,” said a spokesperson from the state department.
“The United States calls for an immediate cessation of hostilities, the protection of civilians, and a peaceful resolution.”
Britain’s foreign office previously advised against non-essential travel to parts of Cambodia and Thailand.
With reports from Agence France-Presse and Reuters.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.