"5,000 evacuate in Crete wildfire amid ongoing Europe heatwave"

A wildfire, fueled by strong winds, has led to the evacuation of approximately 5,000 people on the Greek island of Crete, according to officials. The incident comes as much of mainland Europe experiences intense early summer heat, linked to at least nine fatalities.

Around 230 firefighters, supported by 46 vehicles and helicopters, were working to contain the blaze on Thursday, a day after it began near Ierapetra on the island’s southeastern coast. The fire threatened houses and hotels as it spread across the country’s largest island.

A fire service representative, Vassilis Vathrakogiannis, stated, “Wind gusts in the area, some reaching force nine on the Beaufort scale, are causing flare-ups and complicating firefighting efforts.” He confirmed that four communities had been evacuated.

According to Yorgos Tzarakis, head of the local hotel association, roughly 3,000 visitors and 2,000 residents were relocated overnight as a precaution. A few individuals entered the sea for safety and were aided by local fishermen and divers.

Authorities reported that displaced residents and tourists had sought refuge in an indoor stadium, with some leaving Crete by boat. News sources indicated that several homes sustained damage.

Manolis Frangoulis, Ierapetra’s mayor, said crews were monitoring the fire during brief lulls in the wind. “Fortunately, no injuries have been reported, but the situation remains challenging,” he noted.

Like much of Crete, Ierapetra, a coastal area with 23,000 permanent residents, welcomes thousands of summer visitors. The island’s dry, rugged terrain, marked by ravines, poses difficulties for firefighting efforts.

Meanwhile, another fire burned in Greece’s Halkidiki region, with 160 firefighters and 49 vehicles deployed to respond.

In Turkey, thousands evacuated due to wildfires in İzmir’s western coastal districts of Cesme and Ödemiş. Near Ödemiş, about 60 miles east of İzmir, an elderly man died in one of three evacuated villages. “The village was cleared, but an elderly, bedridden individual could not be rescued,” a local official told Turkish media.

Vathrakogiannis warned that the risk of destructive fires remains high in July, Greece’s hottest month, though the country has largely avoided the extreme heat affecting other parts of southern and central Europe.

In eastern Germany, nearly 500 firefighters worked to control wildfires near Gohrischheide, on the Saxony-Brandenburg border, which injured two responders and forced more than 100 people to evacuate. Hundreds of hectares of heathland burned, with crews unable to access a former military site due to unexploded munitions.

In France, the peak of the heatwave seems to have passed, with the southeast being the last region facing high temperatures.