Smartphone Bans in Dutch Schools Show Positive Impact, Study Finds
A study commissioned by the Dutch government has found that prohibiting smartphones in schools has enhanced the learning environment, despite early objections.
National guidelines implemented in January 2024 advise keeping phones out of classrooms, with nearly all schools following the policy. Approximately two-thirds of secondary schools require students to leave phones at home or store them in lockers, while others collect devices at the start of lessons.
Researchers surveyed 317 secondary and 313 primary school leaders and conducted 12 focus groups with teachers, staff, students, and parents. Secondary schools reported improvements in students’ ability to concentrate (75%), a better social atmosphere (59%), and some noted academic progress (28%).
According to Dr. Alexander Krepel of the Kohnstamm Instituut, student interactions have notably improved. “Taking photos in class and sharing them in messaging groups is no longer possible, which has increased social safety,” he said. “Since students aren’t on their phones during breaks, they engage more with each other—even if it sometimes leads to minor disagreements. Overall, the change in environment has been well-received.”
Initial concerns about the ban were largely unfounded, said Freya Sixma of the VO-raad, a council representing secondary schools. “There was considerable resistance at first from staff, students, and parents over how the policy would function,” she noted. “But now, most stakeholders are satisfied with the outcome.”
In special education schools, where exemptions may apply for learning aids, around half reported beneficial effects. Primary schools saw less dramatic shifts, as smartphone use had previously been minimal, though a quarter still noted positive changes.
Mariëlle Paul, the education minister, stated that national guidelines have helped maintain classroom discipline. “Teachers and administrators found that individual efforts to ban phones often led to debates,” she said. “Less experienced educators, in particular, struggled to enforce such rules alone.”
Paul also suggested policymakers could learn from the results. “As adults, we recognize how apps like messaging and social media can be distracting. We attempted a similar measure during an education debate but found it challenging.”
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.