"France braces for dangerous wildfire season after Marseille fire controlled"

More than 15,000 residents of Marseille who had been confined to their homes have now been permitted to leave after authorities successfully contained a wildfire near France’s second-largest city. However, officials cautioned that the country could face an exceptionally dangerous summer.

Fueled by strong winds and dry vegetation, multiple fires have scorched parts of southern France in recent days, including one on Tuesday just outside Marseille. Weather forecasts suggest the coming weeks may be particularly hazardous.

"The fire is weakening, but with a blaze of this magnitude and over such a large area, there could still be flare-ups, flames could spread, and embers might reignite," said Georges-François Leclerc, prefect of the Bouches-du-Rhône department, on Wednesday.

Marseille Mayor Benoît Payan confirmed that firefighters had the situation "firmly under control" and residents in the northern 16th arrondissement were no longer restricted, though he urged continued vigilance across the area.

More than 700 firefighters and 220 emergency vehicles, supported by helicopters and planes, worked to contain the fire, which had consumed 750 hectares of land and damaged over 70 homes, some within city limits.

No serious injuries were reported, but around 40 people, including emergency responders, were treated for smoke inhalation and minor wounds. Sixteen required hospitalization. More than 400 people were evacuated, including 70 residents of a retirement home in Les Pennes-Mirabeau, where a car fire had initially sparked the blaze.

Flights to and from Marseille's airport, the country's fourth-busiest, resumed after a midday closure on Tuesday. Authorities noted that operations could be halted again if the facility was needed for firefighting aircraft.

Train and bus services, many of which had been suspended, gradually returned to normal, and several major roads reopened after closures meant to ensure public safety and facilitate emergency response.

Lionel Mathieu, Marseille's fire service chief, said winds were expected to strengthen later on Wednesday but less intensely than the previous day. Strong gusts of up to 60 mph (100 km/h) on Tuesday had accelerated the fire’s spread.

Thick smoke and airborne ash engulfed parts of central Marseille. Footage from the Old Port showed heavy clouds of smoke hovering over the city, while satellite images revealed smoke drifting nearly 100 kilometers out to sea.

Three southern regions were placed under the highest fire alert, with forests closed and restrictions on barbecues and smoking near wooded areas.

"There is strong evidence that we are facing a high-risk summer," said Bruno Retailleau, France’s interior minister. The Mediterranean region remains highly susceptible to extreme heat linked to the climate crisis.

Two smaller fires in the Gard and Hérault regions had already burned approximately 1,000 hectares.