Indonesia’s President Prabowo Subianto has announced plans to remove certain benefits for lawmakers, including a contentious $3,000 housing allowance, following widespread protests that resulted in six fatalities.
During a televised press conference in Jakarta, Prabowo—joined by leaders from eight political parties—stated that lawmakers would no longer receive the housing stipend and that their international travel would be suspended. The decision marked an unusual step in response to growing public discontent.
Under the new measures, Prabowo confirmed that “lawmakers will see certain benefits revoked, and overseas official visits halted.”
Last week’s demonstrations intensified across Indonesia, prompting Prabowo to convene a meeting with influential figures, including former president Megawati Sukarnoputri, who leads the opposition Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle. The president also postponed a planned visit to China.
Protests erupted after reports revealed that all 580 members of parliament receive a monthly housing allowance of 50 million rupiah ($3,075) alongside their salaries—a payment nearly ten times higher than Jakarta’s minimum wage. The provision, implemented last year, drew criticism for being excessive, especially as many citizens struggle with high living costs, taxes, and unemployment.
Tensions escalated following the death of 21-year-old ride-hailing driver Affan Kurniawan, who was reportedly caught in a clash between protesters and security forces in Jakarta. Witnesses told local media that a police armored vehicle struck Kurniawan while speeding through the crowd, then ran over him without stopping. His death, captured on video, fueled outrage against law enforcement.
Authorities in Yogyakarta later confirmed another fatality—a 21-year-old student killed during clashes between demonstrators and riot police, bringing the total death toll to six.
Prabowo acknowledged the right to protest under Indonesia’s constitution and international commitments, but warned that violence and destruction could not be tolerated.
“When demonstrations become chaotic—damaging property, threatening lives, or targeting institutions—they cross into unlawful territory,” he said. He also warned against actions that could destabilize the country, stating that the government would take necessary measures to maintain order.
Prabowo urged the public to voice concerns peacefully, while calling on lawmakers to act with accountability to restore faith in governance.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.