"Israel intensifies Gaza airstrikes following new evacuation directives"

Israel Intensifies Gaza Offensive as Truce Talks Loom

Israel escalated its military operations in Gaza on Monday, issuing new evacuation orders that forced tens of thousands to flee the northern part of the territory while airstrikes killed approximately 60 Palestinians, according to local authorities and medical sources.

The surge in violence coincided with the scheduled arrival in Washington of a top aide to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for discussions on a potential ceasefire. This followed a social media statement by Donald Trump urging a deal to halt the 20-month conflict and secure the release of 50 hostages held by Hamas.

Ron Dermer, Israel’s minister for strategic affairs and a key Netanyahu ally, is set to meet senior U.S. officials to address indirect negotiations with Hamas, the fallout from Israel’s recent confrontation with Iran, and possible diplomatic agreements in the region.

An Israeli official said on Monday that Netanyahu aims to conclude the war "as soon as possible" by securing the hostages—more than half of whom are believed to be dead—and dismantling Hamas.

The latest evacuation warnings highlighted imminent military operations in densely populated Gaza City, directing civilians toward crowded southern coastal zones with scarce resources. Roughly 80% of Gaza is now under Israeli evacuation orders or military control.

The military also announced plans to advance into central Gaza City to engage Hamas fighters stationed there.

On Monday, Israeli forces moved into the Zeitoun district on Gaza City’s eastern outskirts and shelled northern areas, while airstrikes targeted at least four schools after ordering displaced families to vacate the premises, according to residents.

“The bombing didn’t stop—they hit schools and houses. It felt like the ground was shaking,” said Salah, 60, a Gaza City resident. “We hear about a truce in the news, but all we see is death and explosions.”

Later in the day, an airstrike struck a busy café near Gaza City’s coast, killing at least 22, including women, children, and a journalist.

The Israel Defense Forces stated that it struck militant infrastructure in northern Gaza, including command hubs, while claiming efforts to minimize civilian harm.

Recent shifts in rhetoric by senior Israeli officials suggest a potential openness to renewed ceasefire discussions.

Throughout the conflict, Israeli offensives have often coincided with key negotiation phases. Officials have previously stated that territorial gains could serve as leverage in future talks.

On Friday, IDF Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir indicated that the military was nearing its objectives. Netanyahu, meanwhile, has consolidated his political standing at home, allowing him to dismiss opposition from hardline factions.