Israeli aircraft carried out a series of strikes in Gaza on Sunday, resulting in at least 38 Palestinian fatalities, according to medical sources, as discussions on a potential ceasefire in the war-torn region reached a crucial stage.
Staff at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis reported that 18 individuals lost their lives in strikes on al-Mawasi, a coastal area densely populated with makeshift shelters housing displaced families.
The Gaza health ministry stated that Israeli military actions over the past day had left 80 dead and 304 injured.
Israel has intensified its operations in recent days amid ongoing discussions regarding a proposal supported by the US, which could potentially end the 21-month conflict.
Before departing for talks with Donald Trump in Washington concerning the ceasefire and other regional matters, Benjamin Netanyahu emphasized his commitment to securing the release of hostages held in Gaza and neutralizing the threat posed by Hamas—reiterating previous statements made during the war.
“I believe discussions with President Trump can contribute to achieving these outcomes,” he told Channel 12.
Details of a proposed 60-day pause in fighting, reviewed by CuriosityNews, indicate that Trump would personally announce any agreement. Some hoped a deal could be finalized ahead of his scheduled meeting with Netanyahu on Monday evening, US time.
Earlier in the week, the US president mentioned in an online statement that Israel had accepted “the necessary terms to finalize” an agreement. Hamas, meanwhile, stated on Friday that it had responded constructively to the proposal.
However, Israel dismissed a number of alterations to the deal requested by Hamas. Netanyahu said negotiators sent to new indirect talks in Qatar had firm directives to pursue an agreement without concessions.
In Gaza City, uncertainty, cautious optimism, and fear prevailed.
“We hope for a ceasefire this time, though past talks have failed repeatedly. We’re hesitant to even feel hopeful—trust is gone after constant disagreements between both sides,” said Abu Adham Abu Amro, 55.
The conflict began on 7 October 2023 when Hamas launched an assault on southern Israel, killing approximately 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting 251. Around 50 hostages remain in Gaza, though fewer than half are believed to be alive.
In Israel, public demands are growing for a resolution to bring all remaining hostages home.
Vicky Cohen, whose son—a soldier—is held by Hamas, said Israelis could only begin healing once all hostages are returned.
“Israelis look out for one another … we will not abandon anyone there, and we will bring them back.”
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.