At least 15 people, including 10 children, were killed in an Israeli airstrike as they waited outside a medical facility in central Gaza, amid escalating attacks that resulted in 82 deaths across the region.
The increase in military strikes occurred as negotiators indicated that a potential ceasefire agreement was nearing but not yet finalized.
The attack on Thursday morning struck families waiting for food and medical aid outside a clinic in Deir al-Balah, according to health officials. The organization operating the facility announced that services had been halted until further notice.
“Earlier today, civilians who were waiting patiently for assistance were struck without warning. This violates fundamental humanitarian principles,” said the head of the organization.
Israeli forces stated they had aimed at a Hamas member involved in the October 2023 assault but acknowledged unintended civilian casualties and said the incident was being investigated.
“What did we do wrong? Why target children?” asked Mohammed Abu Ouda, 35, who was waiting for supplies when the strike occurred. “I saw a mother and her child lying lifeless on the ground—they died instantly.”
Over the past day, Israeli military actions in Gaza reportedly killed at least 67 others, including 15 people in multiple strikes in Gaza City, as per Palestinian health authorities.
On Wednesday, Hamas agreed to release 10 captives in exchange for a pause in fighting, and U.S. President Donald Trump voiced optimism, suggesting a deal could be finalized soon.
Qatar, mediating the indirect negotiations, noted that reaching an agreement might take time due to unresolved obstacles. Israel insists on the right to resume military operations after any ceasefire, while Hamas seeks guarantees that hostilities will not restart.
A previous truce collapsed in March when Israel resumed combat instead of moving toward a long-term resolution. Israel demands Hamas disarm and withdraw from Gaza, conditions the group has rejected.
On Thursday, witnesses reported Israeli military vehicles moving toward displaced persons’ shelters near Khan Younis, with soldiers firing shots and using tear gas. Residents fled the area under attack, carrying minimal belongings in extreme heat.
Khan Younis’s Nasser Hospital, among the few remaining operational medical centers in southern Gaza, received numerous wounded individuals in the past 24 hours. Medical personnel shared an image showing military vehicles positioned near tents housing displaced civilians.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.