Israeli strike on Gaza school kills five sheltering displaced civilians – Middle East conflict updates

The European Union’s diplomatic arm has proposed ten possible responses to Israel, citing concerns that the country may have violated human rights obligations in Gaza and the West Bank.

A document prepared for EU foreign ministers lists several options, including suspending key aspects of the EU-Israel partnership, restricting travel benefits for Israeli citizens, halting trade advantages, or ending Israel’s involvement in European research and academic exchange initiatives. The five-page paper, which was reviewed by *CuriosityNews* and initially reported by Reuters, does not endorse any specific action.

It remains uncertain whether any of these measures will move forward. To date, only Spain has advocated suspending the EU-Israel agreement, a move that requires unanimous support. Even governments that strongly support Palestinian rights within the EU have hesitated to endorse policies that could limit civilian interactions.

The document’s release follows an announcement by EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas about a potentially significant agreement with Israel to expand aid access to Gaza. On Thursday, Kallas stated that Israel had committed to increasing the number of aid trucks entering Gaza daily, reopening key humanitarian routes from Jordan and Syria, resuming food distribution through bakeries and public kitchens, and restoring water supply to a desalination plant.

A spokesperson for Kallas described the agreement as the result of discussions between her and Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar. The EU’s reassessment of its relationship with Israel had previously prompted Kallas to raise concerns over the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

The EU’s next steps may depend on whether member states believe Israel has been sufficiently pressured to adjust its actions or if further measures are necessary. Israel’s compliance with the aid agreement will likely shape the EU’s response.

“We expect Israel to fulfill all agreed-upon commitments,” Kallas said.

**Israeli Strikes Reportedly Kill Six in Gaza**

According to Agence France-Presse (AFP), Gaza’s civil defence agency reported that Israeli airstrikes on Friday resulted in at least six deaths in the northern part of the territory. Five were killed at a school housing displaced people in Jabalia al-Nazla, while another person died in a separate strike in Gaza City.

The agency stated, “Five martyrs and several wounded were reported after an Israeli attack on Halima al-Saadia school, where displaced families were taking shelter.”

In central Gaza, Al-Awda hospital in Nuseirat said it treated multiple casualties after Israeli forces reportedly fired on civilians near an aid distribution point. The Israeli military has not yet commented on the incidents, which occurred as military operations in Gaza intensified.