Israel’s defense minister has outlined a proposal to relocate all Palestinians in Gaza to a camp on the ruins of Rafah, a move legal experts and scholars say could amount to crimes against humanity.
According to a report from Haaretz, Israel Katz stated that he has instructed the military to prepare for the establishment of a camp, referred to as a "humanitarian zone," on the remains of Rafah. Palestinians would undergo security checks before entering and would not be permitted to leave once inside, Katz said during a briefing for reporters.
Katz added that Israeli forces would secure the perimeter of the site, initially moving about 600,000 displaced Palestinians—mostly from the al-Mawasi area—into the camp. The long-term goal, he said, would be to house Gaza’s entire population there as part of an "emigration plan" that Israel intends to carry out.
Earlier this year, discussions about large-scale displacement from Gaza gained traction among Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, after former U.S. President Donald Trump suggested Palestinians should leave to "clean out" the territory.
Legal expert Michael Sfard, a prominent Israeli human rights lawyer, stated that Katz’s plan violates international law. The proposal also directly conflicts with statements from the Israeli military’s leadership, which had earlier claimed that displacing Palestinians within Gaza was solely for their safety.
"What was presented is an operational plan for a crime against humanity—nothing less than that," Sfard said. "This is about forcibly transferring people to the southern edge of Gaza in preparation for expulsion. While the government frames it as 'voluntary,' the conditions in Gaza make any departure under coercion a violation of international law."
Sfard further argued that forcibly displacing people on such a large scale would constitute a war crime or, in this context, a crime against humanity.
Katz’s announcement came shortly before Netanyahu’s visit to Washington, where he faces pressure to agree to a truce that could halt or pause the ongoing 21-month conflict. Katz noted that construction of the proposed camp could begin during a ceasefire, adding that Israel is seeking nations willing to accept displaced Palestinians.
Other officials, including Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, have supported the establishment of Israeli settlements in Gaza. Previous discussions with the U.S. administration included plans labeled as "humanitarian transit zones," intended to accommodate displaced Palestinians either within or outside Gaza, according to an earlier Reuters report.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.