Visitors to Milan’s renowned La Scala theatre have been informed they will be denied entry if wearing shorts, sleeveless tops, or sandals. Traditional garments such as kimonos, however, remain allowed.
The theatre’s management issued the reminder following complaints that some attendees were dressing in a manner better suited to casual settings rather than an opera.
A notice outlining guidelines for appropriate attire has been posted at the entrance, encouraging guests to "select clothing that respects the theatre’s formal atmosphere." The rules specify that entry will be refused to those in sleeveless tops, shorts, or sandals, with no refunds provided. The policy is also stated on tickets and the venue’s official website.
The dress code, introduced in 2015 when La Scala remained open throughout Milan’s Expo, was designed to prevent overly informal wear. Until now, enforcement had been lenient, partly due to calls for flexibility by its former director, Dominique Meyer, who had once faced criticism for his own casual style while attending performances in Paris. Meyer later led the opera company.
“The current situation requires stricter adherence to the guidelines, especially given the warm weather,” said a La Scala representative. “Audience members have expressed frustration at seeing others in overly relaxed attire, such as sandals, particularly in such close seating arrangements.”
The rule regarding sleeveless tops does not apply to formal blouses or dresses, and, as reported by Corriere della Sera, traditional Japanese attire including kimonos and accompanying footwear remains permitted.
Before 2015, La Scala tickets suggested but did not require “jacket and tie.” However, a general expectation of smart dress has long been upheld.
“While dictating attire is not ideal, proper dress is still necessary,” the spokesperson said.
This reminder is part of broader updates to theatre etiquette. Outside food and drinks are prohibited, along with photography or recording during performances. Mobile phones must also not be placed on balcony railings after an incident where a falling device struck an audience member below.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.