Women who have accused the late Mohamed Al Fayed of assault have expressed frustration with the police investigation, according to their representative, who criticized authorities for planning to send a video update rather than holding direct meetings.
Dame Jasvinder Sanghera, an independent advocate for survivors appointed by Harrods, spoke out as reports emerged that the Metropolitan Police had written to the women, acknowledging their distress, particularly since Fayed can no longer be held accountable.
Multiple women have come forward with allegations dating back to 1977, with more people speaking out since the broadcast of a documentary last year detailing claims of abuse by the former Harrods owner.
Detective Chief Superintendent Angela Craggs, leading the investigation, reportedly wrote to the women stating she was "acutely aware the case is especially distressing to all those who have suffered," particularly given that the main suspect will not face trial.
Despite no major updates since last year, police plan to send a recorded statement this week.
Sanghera told a radio program: "They have not been kept informed or provided timelines. I urged police to meet survivors directly, but they refused and opted for a video, which falls short. Some reported Al Fayed while he was alive—now, they deserve more than just words."
Some survivors, she said, live with "shame and guilt," while others have struggled with self-harm. She argued that monthly updates from police would not be unreasonable.
The Met previously stated that 111 women had made allegations against Fayed. Complaints about the handling of these cases will be reviewed internally under oversight from the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
Authorities are also examining 21 earlier allegations, two of which were referred to the IOPC in November.
In February, Ali Fayed, Mohamed’s brother, was accused of sexual assault by three former Harrods employees, who claimed he assaulted them while they worked there.
Three women told media outlets they were assaulted by Ali in the 1990s when he and his brothers ran Harrods, alleging the incidents followed previous abuse by Mohamed.
A spokesperson for Ali Fayed has denied all accusations, stating they are "completely untrue" and that he plans to defend himself.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.