Police have discovered 381 bodies piled inside a private crematorium in northern Mexico’s Ciudad Juarez, according to the local prosecutor’s office, which linked the disturbing discovery to neglect.
“At this stage, we have identified 381 bodies that were improperly stored in the crematorium and never cremated,” Eloy Garcia, representative for the Chihuahua state prosecutor’s office, told press sources.
Garcia stated that the remains were “heaped” without any clear organization in multiple rooms of the facility.
They were “simply tossed without care, one over the other, onto the floor,” he said.
Each body had been embalmed. Officials suggested some may have been there for as long as two years.
Earlier reports from local media had indicated 60 bodies at the site.
Families received “material not matching the remains” instead of ashes, Garcia explained.
He accused the crematorium’s operators of “negligence and recklessness,” emphasizing that all such establishments “are aware of their daily cremation limits.” “You cannot accept more than you can handle,” he added.
One of the crematorium’s managers has voluntarily surrendered to authorities.
Prosecutors did not confirm whether the bodies were linked to violent crimes.
Mexico, where organized crime has inflicted severe damage, has faced a prolonged crisis in its forensic services due to overwhelming caseloads, staff shortages, and budget constraints.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.