Negotiations between Israel and Hamas regarding a ceasefire and hostage agreement in Gaza continued for a second day on Monday, shortly before a scheduled meeting between Benjamin Netanyahu and Donald Trump in Washington.
Avi Dichter, an Israeli official and member of Netanyahu’s security cabinet, suggested that the discussions between the Israeli leader and Trump would likely extend beyond Gaza, possibly addressing the potential for improved relations with Lebanon, Syria, and Saudi Arabia—a key aspect of U.S. policy in the region.
“I believe the focus will be on what we’ve often referred to but now takes on real significance: a transformed Middle East,” Dichter said during an interview with Israel’s public broadcaster Kan.
In recent weeks, Trump has pushed for an agreement in Gaza, hinting that a truce could be reached within days. Before leaving for Washington, Netanyahu expressed confidence in securing a deal, emphasizing that Israeli negotiators had been instructed to pursue a ceasefire—but only under terms previously accepted by Israel.
Reports from Israeli military radio and a government official cited by Reuters suggested that discussions in Doha had been productive. Palestinian officials, however, were less optimistic, noting that initial meetings on Sunday had ended without resolution.
The proposed agreement includes the gradual release of approximately 50 hostages held by Hamas during an initial 60-day pause in fighting, alongside the release of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli custody, a partial Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, increased humanitarian assistance, and talks on a lasting resolution to the conflict.
An earlier ceasefire effort failed in March when Israel withdrew from commitments to continue negotiations that could have extended the truce and potentially led to a permanent stop in hostilities.
Hamas has insisted on firm assurances that Israel will not resume military action after the 60-day period. The group also seeks oversight by the UN and other international bodies for aid distribution in Gaza, while opposing the involvement of the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), a privately run entity supported by the U.S. and Israel that has faced criticism since it began operating in May.
Another point of contention is Hamas’s demand for Israeli forces to withdraw further than current proposals outline. Israel currently controls roughly two-thirds of Gaza, including strategically vital areas and parts of the southern region that have been heavily damaged—territory it is unwilling to relinquish.
“Hamas is clearly seeking a ceasefire, but they also have their limits,” said an analyst. “Israel has tested the assumption that increasing pressure will force concessions, but the question remains—how much more pressure is possible?”
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.