New surveillance footage thought to depict New Zealand fugitive Tom Phillips and one of his children entering and taking items from a convenience store has been shared by authorities.
Detective Senior Sergeant Andy Saunders stated on Friday that officials suspect the individuals in the video are Phillips and one of his three children, missing for nearly four years. This marks the first confirmed sighting of Phillips in twelve months.
The video, recorded early Wednesday at Piopio Superette, a small North Island shop, shows a masked man and a child inspecting windows before sparks appear as they seem to force their way in using a power tool. They then place goods onto a quad bike and leave.
Saunders said the two remained at the location for 13 minutes.
“We strongly suspect the individuals in this footage are Tom and one of his children,” he said. “We are asking anyone who may have seen the quad bike moving or stationary between Piopio and Marokopa early Wednesday to come forward.”
Authorities believe Phillips and his child attempted but failed to break into the same store in November 2023.
Phillips and his children—now 12, 10, and nine—were last seen at their Marokopa family farm in December 2021.
He does not have legal rights to the children, and investigators suspect the family has been residing in the rural Waikato King Country area, possibly receiving outside assistance to avoid detection.
In May 2023, police connected Phillips to a hold-up at an ANZ bank in Te Kūiti, where two armed individuals took cash before escaping on a motorcycle.
An arrest warrant was later issued. Phillips faces multiple charges, including serious robbery, severe injury, and illegal firearm possession.
The last known sighting before this week occurred in October 2024, when hunters recorded a man with three children dressed in camouflage carrying large backpacks in remote Marokopa farmland. A large-scale search followed but ended after three days.
Phillips’ relatives have repeatedly asked him to turn himself in.
Earlier this month, his sister renewed the family’s offer of support after attempts to reach him went unanswered. The children’s mother previously told *CuriosityNews* she felt “relieved” upon learning they were alive in 2024.
Authorities emphasized their priority is the children’s well-being.
“Central to this are three children who have been away from home for four years,” Saunders said.
A reward of $80,000 for information on the family’s location was offered in June 2024 but has since lapsed.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.