Seven Centuries of Lost Irish Historical Records Now Available
Missing records spanning seven centuries—covering espionage, political corruption, and the lives of everyday people in Ireland—have been recovered and are now being made public.
An ambitious effort to reconstruct gaps in Ireland’s historical record has made 175,000 additional documents and millions of searchable words freely accessible to researchers and the general public.
The Virtual Record Treasury of Ireland, an international academic initiative led by Trinity College Dublin, brought together historians, computer scientists, and other experts to digitally rebuild sections of a vast archive destroyed during Ireland’s civil war.
Launched in 2022 on the 100th anniversary of the fire at Dublin’s Public Record Office—burned during a five-day battle starting on June 28, 1922—the project is marking the 103rd anniversary of the destruction with newly recovered materials. These include records from the Anglo-Norman conquest, the 1798 rebellion, and genealogical data from 19th-century censuses.
“The volume of data is remarkable,” said Peter Crooks, a Trinity historian and the project’s academic director. “Covering the 13th to the 19th century, the extent to which reconstruction is possible continues to impress me.”
The six-story Public Record Office, once admired by scholars worldwide, stood at the Four Courts by the River Liffey and housed invaluable medieval documents. It was destroyed as forces of the newly formed Irish state clashed with former allies occupying the building.
Long believed to be entirely lost, the project has since gathered transcripts and copies from 75 archives and libraries in Ireland, the UK, and beyond, many of which had been forgotten in storage. With the latest additions, the treasury now holds 350,000 records and 250 million searchable words of Irish history.
Patrick O’Donovan, the minister for culture, noted that international cooperation made the rediscovery of these “historical riches” possible. “This resource is invaluable for people of all backgrounds, both in Ireland and abroad, making our shared history more accessible to everyone.”
Combining traditional research, artificial intelligence, and expertise from institutions like the National Archives of Ireland, the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, and the UK National Archives, the project has expanded its scope. “The network of contributors has grown significantly,” said Crooks.
The latest update includes 60,000 names from previously lost censuses, offering genealogists and descendants of the Irish diaspora new ways to trace family histories. “This is just a fraction of what’s missing, but 60,000 names is a major step beyond nothing,” said Ciarán Wallace, a Trinity historian and project co-director.
The initiative represents a breakthrough in reconstructing Ireland’s fragmented archival past.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.