Pedro Sánchez's attempt to restore stability within Spain’s ruling socialist party following damaging corruption claims that endangered his coalition government has faced a major setback after a party official stepped down amid allegations of sexual harassment.
The prime minister had hoped the weekend gathering of his Spanish Socialist Workers’ party (PSOE) federal committee would help the party recover from weeks of damaging scandals that contradicted the ethical and anti-corruption commitments central to its rise to power seven years earlier.
However, those hopes were disrupted late Friday when the online news outlet *elDiario* reported accusations from several female PSOE employees, alleging they had been subjected to sexual harassment by Francisco Salazar, who managed institutional coordination at the Moncloa palace, the prime minister’s official residence and workplace.
Following the report, Salazar announced on Saturday that he was resigning from his role in the Moncloa palace and from his newly assigned position as a deputy in the PSOE’s organizational secretariat.
Speaking to *elDiario*, Salazar claimed he had no memory of any improper conduct. “I’ve thought hard about it, and it seems unbelievable to me,” he said. “I keep asking myself if I ever said something inappropriate to a colleague, and honestly, I can’t recall any such instance.”
Sources from Moncloa confirmed an inquiry had been initiated but clarified that no formal complaints against Salazar had yet been filed.
On Saturday, Sánchez reiterated his regret for what he described as misplaced trust in those implicated in misconduct, stating: “I made a mistake in trusting people who didn’t deserve it, but we are committed to upholding democratic integrity.”
The prime minister, facing increasing demands to call an early election, dismissed any suggestion of resignation.
“When the waters grow turbulent, the captain doesn’t abandon his post—he steers the ship through the storm,” he said.
Salazar’s departure marks another challenge to Sánchez’s leadership and decision-making.
Earlier in the week, Santos Cerdán—previously the PSOE’s organizational secretary and a key ally of Sánchez—was detained after a supreme court judge cited “substantial evidence” linking him to potential kickbacks in public construction contracts.
The investigation followed reports from Spain’s Civil Guard anti-corruption unit, which submitted materials suggesting Cerdán had discussed bribes with former PSOE transport minister José Luis Ábalos and one of the minister's aides, Koldo García. Both Ábalos and García, who deny wrongdoing, are also under scrutiny. Cerdán—who resigned from his party role and parliamentary seat after the allegations surfaced—has pledged to prove his innocence.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.