Hundreds More Bodies Recovered in Afghan Quake, Death Toll Exceeds 2,200
Officials reported on Thursday that additional remains have been found in the ruins of mountain villages devastated by a powerful earthquake in Afghanistan earlier this week, bringing the total number of fatalities to over 2,200.
The quake, which measured 6.0 in magnitude and occurred at a shallow depth, hit the remote eastern region late on Sunday, flattening homes and leaving many trapped beneath debris. Most losses have been concentrated in Kunar province, where residents often live in wooden or mud-brick dwellings along steep valleys surrounded by towering peaks.
A recent evaluation by the organization Islamic Relief indicated that nearly all structures in the area had been damaged or destroyed. Relief groups highlighted the urgent need for personnel and resources to assist survivors.
Muhammad Israel recounted how the earthquake triggered a landslide that engulfed his home and livestock in Kunar. “The rocks tumbled down from the mountain,” he said. “I barely managed to get my children out… The aftershocks haven’t stopped. Living there is impossible now.”
He was staying at a medical camp run by the UN in Nurgal, one of the hardest-hit districts. “Our situation here is difficult too—we have no shelter and are sleeping outside,” he added.
Initial reports estimated around 1,400 deaths, but Taliban spokesperson Hamdullah Fitrat stated Thursday that the figure had risen to 2,205, with rescue operations still underway.
“Emergency shelters have been arranged for those displaced, and aid deliveries are continuing,” he said.
The rugged landscape has complicated relief efforts. Authorities have sent helicopters and deployed troops to reach survivors. Rescue teams have described trekking for hours to access villages isolated by landslides and fallen rocks.
Limited funding has further strained the response. According to the Norwegian Refugee Council, fewer than 450 staff remain in Afghanistan, down from 1,100 in 2023 when the country faced its last major earthquake. The organization now has just one functioning warehouse with no emergency reserves.
“Procuring supplies will only begin once funding is secured, but that could take weeks, and the need is immediate,” said Maisam Shafiey, a spokesperson for the council in Afghanistan. “Only $100,000 is currently available for disaster response, leaving a $1.9 million shortfall.”
Dr. Shamshair Khan, treating the wounded at the UN camp in Nurgal, said both medical supplies and facilities were insufficient. “The people here require more medicine, shelter, food, and clean water,” he stressed. “They are suffering and need greater assistance.”
Even before the quake, Afghanistan was grappling with drought, economic instability, and the recent return of two million Afghans from neighboring nations.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.