Thailand Recalls Ambassador to Cambodia Amid Border Dispute
Thailand has withdrawn its ambassador from Cambodia and plans to expel Cambodia’s envoy following a landmine explosion that wounded a Thai soldier near the contested border, the ruling Pheu Thai party announced on Wednesday.
The Thai foreign ministry has formally protested to Cambodia, stating that the landmines discovered in the area were recently placed and had not been detected in earlier patrols, the party said in a statement.
As a result, Thailand has reduced its diplomatic ties with Cambodia.
Cambodia’s government has not yet provided a response to inquiries. A spokesperson directed requests to the foreign ministry. Thailand’s foreign ministry stated it had not received official notice about the recall of its envoy or the expulsion of Cambodia’s ambassador.
Additionally, Thailand has instructed the closure of all border crossings under the control of its Second Army, the Pheu Thai party said.
“Access to these border zones is strictly restricted,” it added.
In Wednesday’s explosion, the soldier suffered severe injuries, including the loss of his right leg, according to the party.
Previously, Thailand had accused Cambodia of laying landmines on its side of the disputed border after three soldiers were wounded. However, Cambodia rejected the allegation, stating the troops had strayed from approved routes and triggered unexploded ordnance from past conflicts.
Thai officials reported that on 16 July, a patrol along the contested border between Ubon Ratchathani and Cambodia’s Preah Vihear province was hit by a landmine, injuring several soldiers, one of whom lost a foot.
Cambodia’s foreign ministry denied deploying new mines, asserting in a recent statement that the Thai soldiers had entered Cambodian territory beyond agreed-upon patrol paths, where old landmines remain from years of warfare.
The region is heavily affected by mines left over from prolonged conflicts.
Read next

"UN rights officials call for leadership to label Israel's Gaza offensive as genocide"
Hundreds of UN Human Rights Staff Urge Leadership to Label Gaza Offensive as Genocide
A significant number of employees from the United Nations’ primary human rights body have endorsed an internal letter urging their leaders to recognize Israel’s military campaign in Gaza as genocide and to push member states

"Demonstrations break out in Indonesia after police car fatally strikes man"
Hundreds of Indonesians have gathered at locations across Jakarta to demonstrate following the death of a man struck by a law enforcement vehicle, marking the first major challenge for Prabowo Subianto’s administration, which took office nearly a year ago.
The victim, a motorcycle ride-hailing driver, was hit during clashes

"UN to halt Lebanon peacekeeping mission next year amid US, Israeli pressure"
The UN Security Council has extended the peacekeeping mission in Lebanon for another 16 months, though it will conclude by the end of 2026 following pressure from Israel and the US.
Council members unanimously approved the decision on Thursday to renew the mandate of the UN Interim Force in Lebanon