Australia and the UK may face prolonged uncertainty over the future of the Aukus agreement, as a rapid assessment of the nuclear submarine deal by the new US administration is expected to extend far beyond its initially announced 30-day period.
The author of Britain’s Aukus review, Sir Stephen Lovegrove, confirmed that both countries would contribute to the Pentagon’s evaluation but cautioned that advising US President Donald Trump would take time. The assessment, led by Defense Undersecretary and Aukus skeptic Elbridge Colby, still has no clear start date despite being publicly disclosed a month ago.
Sources within the Labor Party acknowledge that the review may take months, while a Pentagon representative told *CuriosityNews* that no formal deadline had been set.
Speaking as UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s envoy during a visit to Australia, Lovegrove emphasized that Aukus required sustained public support. He proposed that Trump and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese appoint representatives to advocate for the $360 billion agreement.
Lovegrove expressed doubts about the 30-day timeframe, stating it was reasonable for the new administration to evaluate the deal signed under former US President Joe Biden.
“There’s still some way to go,” he said. “We expect to provide input to the review, and consultations will include both British and Australian participants.”
“Aukus demands ongoing effort. It’s a major commitment that will evolve over time, as it should.”
Before visiting the Henderson naval base in Western Australia, which is preparing to service nuclear-powered submarines, Lovegrove highlighted the need for clear explanations to maintain public confidence in the long-term partnership.
“As someone remarked recently, ‘you don’t buy a high-performance car just to drive children to school.’ If we’re making such a significant investment, people need to understand why.”
An Australian defense official noted it was expected for the US to assess progress and seek enhancements. “Australian officials regularly engage with their US counterparts on Aukus matters and have been in discussions with Elbridge Colby since his Pentagon appointment. We anticipate continued collaboration,” the official said.
Foreign Minister Penny Wong and US counterpart Marco Rubio, attending the Association of Southeast Asian Nations talks in Malaysia this week, may also discuss the review. The two leaders met earlier this month.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.