Trump Shows No Response After Putin Misses Ukraine Negotiation Deadline
Donald Trump did not take any visible steps after the latest deadline for Vladimir Putin to engage in talks with Volodymyr Zelenskyy passed. The U.S. leader expressed disappointment in the Russian president, stating he intended to "do something to help people live," though he provided no details. Trump made the remarks during a radio interview with conservative commentator Scott Jennings.
On Tuesday, Zelenskyy reported that Russia was increasing its military presence in some frontline areas and continuing attacks on Ukrainian sites. "We are now observing another concentration of Russian troops in certain parts of the front. [Putin] rejects efforts to push for peace... Russia keeps carrying out strikes. We will, of course, take action," the Ukrainian president said in his nightly speech.
European nations are prepared to support postwar security assurances for Ukraine but are awaiting concrete U.S. involvement, according to French officials. Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer are set to co-lead a meeting of a like-minded coalition on Thursday. A conversation also took place between French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot and U.S. Senator Marco Rubio. The coalition seeks American assistance, which may include intelligence, logistics, and communication support.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov reiterated Moscow's stance that any peace agreement must acknowledge "new territorial realities"—referring to Russia’s unlawful occupation of Ukrainian land—and insisted that Russia, despite being the aggressor, be included in postwar security discussions. Lavrov said he anticipated further talks between Russia and Ukraine. Putin has declined direct negotiations with Zelenskyy, which Trump had previously said he would facilitate.
Ukraine mourned the death of political figure Andriy Parubiy, who was buried on Tuesday after being shot in a daylight assault on Saturday. This marks the second such killing in Lviv within little over a year. Authorities, having arrested the suspected shooter, indicated on Monday that they believed Russia played a role.
In court footage, the accused, a Ukrainian man, confessed to killing Parubiy, a 54-year-old lawmaker, calling it "personal revenge" against the state. He stated he sought inclusion in a prisoner swap with Russia to locate the remains of his son, a deceased Ukrainian soldier, denying any recruitment by Moscow for the attack. A Lviv judge ordered the suspect held for 60 days while the investigation proceeds.
South Korean intelligence estimates that around 2,000 North Korean troops have died while fighting alongside Russia in Ukraine. Earlier this year, Seoul’s intelligence agency reported the death toll at a minimum of 600, but updated assessments now place the figure closer to 2,000, according to lawmaker Lee Seong-kweun.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.