Ukraine Seeks Clarity as US Announces Resumption of Weapons Deliveries
Ukraine has stated it is working to confirm details after Donald Trump announced late Monday that U.S. weapons deliveries would resume, just days after the Pentagon halted them. Kyiv emphasized the need for "predictability" in its military support from Washington.
The Ukrainian defense ministry said in a Tuesday statement that it had not yet received official confirmation of the policy shift, stressing that "stability, continuity, and predictability" in arms supplies—particularly for air defense systems—were critically important.
The statement added, "We appreciate the United States for its support and value the efforts of American partners in working toward lasting peace."
Speaking at the White House, Trump confirmed additional weapons would be sent to Ukraine, describing his dissatisfaction with Russian President Vladimir Putin. "We’ll provide more weapons to help them defend themselves. They’re facing heavy attacks," Trump said during a meeting with U.S. and Israeli officials.
His comments followed a seven-hour Russian aerial assault on Kyiv on Thursday, which occurred shortly after Trump and Putin spoke by phone. On Monday, Trump specified that the U.S. would prioritize sending "defensive weapons," calling the conflict "a terrible situation with so many lives lost."
The Pentagon confirmed that "additional defensive weapons" would soon be shipped to Ukraine "under President Trump’s orders." The decision reverses last week’s pause, which came after Trump discussed the matter with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, who later described the call as their most productive to date.
The Kremlin stated Tuesday that it would require time to assess the specifics of the new U.S. weapons shipments to Kyiv.
Last week, U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth halted deliveries of air defense interceptors and other precision weapons, including a shipment near the Polish-Ukrainian border, citing dwindling Pentagon stockpiles.
Reports suggest Hegseth acted without broader consultation. The move drew criticism from Kyiv and surprise from congressional Democrats, who disputed claims of insufficient U.S. weapons reserves. Ukraine’s European allies also expressed frustration.
The aid package, authorized by Congress last year under the previous administration, included 30 Patriot missiles, 8,400 artillery rounds, 142 Hellfire missiles, and 252 guided rocket system munitions.
Ukraine has been facing shortages of Patriot interceptors, vital for countering Russian ballistic missiles. Since Trump’s return to office, Russian strikes on Ukrainian cities have intensified.
On Sunday, a Russian drone attack on Kharkiv and Zaporizhzhia killed one person and injured over 60 civilians. Last week’s assault on Kyiv caused significant destruction.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.