Extended measures taken for preservation of Shackleton's sunken Endurance shipwreck.

An encircling protective zone will be expanded from 500 meters to 1,500 meters around one of history's most renowned shipwrecks, Endurance, in an effort to limit activities near the vessel.

This initiative is a component of an international conservation strategy forged by the UK Antarctic Heritage Trust (UKAHT) and Historic England, unveiled on Wednesday.

The scheme states that the Endurance will be left undisturbed in its location, all endeavors aim to conserve and improve the site without removing or depositing any material from the wreck or surrounding area. The marine ecosystem of the shipwreck will be meticulously documented and preserved.

When discovered beneath 3,000 meters of the Weddell Sea's remote waters in February 2022, the Endurance was found to have sea anemones, starfish, sea lilies, and sponges inhabiting it - a sight that Camilla Nichol, CEO of UKAHT, described as "pretty well protected" already. However, given its newfound location, interest in visiting the site is expected to rise.

The Endurance was thought lost forever until found in 2022 beneath Antarctic waters where it had been submerged since November 1915 after being crushed by ice. "We are overwhelmed with our good fortune in having located and captured images of the ship," said Mensun Bound, leader of the Endurance Expedition.

In December 1914, Sir Ernest Shackleton embarked from South Georgia on a journey to Vahsel Bay, intending to cross Antarctica's massive ice sheet towards the Ross Sea. Unfortunately, two days into their voyage, the crew encountered polar pack ice. The Endurance became trapped and was eventually destroyed in November 1915 by Shackleton who recorded its final location amidst freezing temperatures.

Shackleton and his group endured over five months on floating sea ice before setting sail to Elephant Island, where they organized the rescue of remaining crew members within a few months. "Undoubtedly one of the most extraordinary stories of exploration, danger, leadership, and survival in history," states the conservation management plan.

The plan has been shared with all countries participating in the Antarctic Treaty for endorsement, which was achieved. Further discussions have commenced regarding designation as an Antarctic specially protected area. "The implications of this expansion are significant; visitors would need a permit and solid reasoning to approach the wreck - effectively making it off-limits," said Nichol.

While current agreements prohibit cruise operators from approaching within 50 miles, there remains potential risks in the future from fishing trawlers or submarines. "We want people to appreciate this historic site through digital means rather than physical interaction with it," added Nichol.