Three people watching a car rally in France lost their lives after a vehicle driven by a 22-year-old competitor left the track on Saturday, officials confirmed.
The driver, operating a customized Peugeot 208, and her 51-year-old co-driver were hospitalized but are expected to recover, according to judicial authorities.
The incident took place close to Ambert, in central France, around midday on Saturday.
Two men died at the location, and a third passed away after being transported to a medical facility by helicopter.
The deceased were identified as two brothers, aged 70 and 60, along with a 44-year-old man. An inquiry into possible negligence leading to death has been initiated.
Witnesses to the collision were deeply affected, with nine individuals receiving psychological assistance at a support center in the nearby village of Saint-Just.
“This is a devastating event for the racing community,” said Jöel Mathurin, a local government representative from Puy-de-Dôme.
The stretch of road where the crash occurred is lined with cornfields.
Debris, including plastic and glass, remained scattered near the area hours afterward, as noted by a journalist present.
Laure Moisset, the regional prosecutor, described the crash as “extremely severe.”
“Today, three families are grieving because of this tragedy,” she said.
When questioned about whether the spectators were in a prohibited zone, Moisset declined to speculate, stating it was premature to draw conclusions.
“The event was managed with thorough planning,” she added.
Earlier reports indicated that those struck by the vehicle were in a restricted section marked by red tape, while public viewing areas were designated with green tape.
After the crash, rally officials announced that the competition had been suspended mid-morning.
Attendees were instructed to depart, and the planned awards presentation was called off.
The investigation is ongoing, the prosecutor stated.
Authorities have closed the road where the accident occurred, describing it as a nearly straight section.
Read next
Over 1 million people gather in Madrid for outdoor mass with Pope Leo
Over one million people gathered in Madrid for an open-air mass led by Pope Leo. During the service, the American pontiff highlighted the contradiction between Christian principles and far-right ideology, stating, “No one can kneel before the Lord and despise their brother.”
Crowds began forming hours before dawn on Sunday
Xi Jinping visits Pyongyang to strengthen China-North Korea relations
Xi Jinping has begun a two-day visit to North Korea, marking his first trip to the country in nearly seven years as he seeks to strengthen relations with the ally.
Footage from the Xinhua state news agency showed the Chinese leader and his wife, Peng Liyuan, arriving at Sunan international
Denmark's mullet championship celebrates the 'beautifully ugly' and divisive hairstyle
Copenhagen recently hosted the 2026 Mullet Championship, where more than 1,000 spectators gathered on an outdoor stage to celebrate the enduring hairstyle characterized by short hair in the front and length in the back.
Twelve participants competed in the event, which was organized by 37-year-old electrician Steffen Stiw Weber.